-->

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Dead Neanderthals - Dead Neanderthals



There is no other band in the world that sounds like Dead Neanderthals (although 7000 Dying Rats and Rich Hoak's solo experiments do come close in their own little ways). Jazzgrind? Or is it saxgrind? Who the fuck would have thought it? Not me, that's for sure! Trust the Netherlands! Ha ha.

This is one of the original Bat Shit Records pressings of the 7" EP, limited to 105 copies (I have number 92). It is a simple affair of a printed and stamped card sleeve, folded to house a plain black 7". You have to look at the disc etching to figure out what side your playing! This is a basic, and excellently D.I.Y as fuck collectors item that I am proud to own. This is well out of print, as is, I believe, the repress, but you can still download it for free from Grindcore Karaoke.


On the ears, Dead Neanderthals first come across as extremely lo-fi and abrasive, but once your ears adjust you can truly appreciate the gorgeous racket that is going on here. Once you are over the absence of guitars  and vocals (just a saxophone and a drum kit here) you can properly begin to enjoy the tunes on offer. I imagine that Dead Neanderthals sound a hundred times better in a volatile live environment, and I was absolutely crushed to realize that I recently missed their brief UK tour. Totally gutted is an understatement!


These guys have a full 10" out now being distributed by Burning World records, which is a big deal, and I'm glad to see them getting some well deserved attention. I really think that Jay Randall's enormously successful Grindcore Karaoke label has a huge part to play in the international success of many bands, including Dead Neanderthals. I for one, to be sure, had never heard of these guys until I downloaded their record off that site. Excellent stuff all round!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment